This is a great recipe to throw in the crockpot on the morning of a busy day. The extra effort in the morning will be worth it when dinnertime rolls around and your house becomes filled with a delicious aroma. Chicken thighs work best in this recipe because they’re flavourful and hold up well to long, slow cooking. Not browning the meat makes the sauce more delicious with juices from the chicken adding flavour.
|Chicken thighs||1 lb||453 g|
|Onion, halved and diced||1 large||1 large|
|Garlic cloves, minced||2 each||2 each|
|Ginger, grated||2 Tbsp||30 mL|
|Curry powder||2 Tbsp||30 mL|
|Garam masala (Indian spice blend)||1 tsp||5 mL|
|Cumin||1 tsp||5 mL|
|Frozen peas||1 cup||250 mL|
|Light coconut milk||1 can||1 can|
|Yellow pepper, sliced||1 each||1 each|
|Red pepper, sliced||1 each||1 each|
|Sweet potato, diced||1 each||1 each|
|Diced tomatoes||2 cups||500 mL|
|Red curry paste||1 Tbsp||15 mL|
|Cilantro, chopped||½ cup||125 mL|
- Place chicken thighs into slow cooker.
- Chop onion, peppers, sweet potato and garlic and add to slow cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes and frozen peas. Stir contents.
- In a small bowl combine the coconut milk, ginger, garam masala, curry powder, cumin, and curry paste.
- Stir and coat contents of slow cooker.
- Set to low for 6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Once cooked, taste and add pepper to taste. Serve over brown rice, garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.
Makes 4 servings (500 g /serving). 1 serving = ~2.5 cups
Recipe sourced with permission from http://www.nutritionrx.ca/chicken-crockpot-curry/